How to hold down a full-time career, get a graduate degree, participate in a social/charity group, and grow a fetus in your uterus all at the same time. The working woman's guide to pregnancy.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tribute Names

The recent comment on this blog about naming the baby after the new president of Turkmenistan (sp?) has gotten me thinking: what are the best tribute names ever?

My bro's middle name is "Gandhi"...and I've already tossed out "Molly Ivins" and "Oscar" (for the Academy Awards) on this blog...but what are the really inspirational, hilarious, and best tribute names?

What could I do with the following...
Mother Teresa
Martin Luther King Jr.
Nelson Mandela
Aretha Franklin
Coretta Scott King
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Lisa Simpson
Margie Lundegaard
Quentin Tarrentino
??

Or come up with your own worthy tribute names!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are going to insist upon giving Quentin Tarantino a place on that list, I think you are obligated to include Beatrix Kiddo/Black Mamba. I'm also partial to paying tribute to the great civil rights advocate and celebrity gossip expert, Michelle L. Woolley.

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to the untoppable Marley Toots?

PS My friend here at school has named her fetus Bert.

DarcyLaine said...

You're right Carrie... I can't believe I forgot my favorite reggae tribute name which brilliantly blends Bob Marley and Toots & the Maytals!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynanne said...

Although its not exactly a tribute name, I suggested naming my unborn son Socrates in order to nudge my husband into thinking of more suitable names :)

(the last comment was mine, sorry. I posted using my spam mail account by mistake)

Unkempt Mommy said...

I vote for Lisa Simpson.

Coincidentally, one of the cadidates on my potential-boy-names-list is Otto....although, now I'm not sure that it's a good idea to pay tribute to a stoner bus driver who boasts phrases like "My name is Otto and I love to get blotto." and hires Poison to play at his wedding.

Shanna Sawatzki said...

How 'bout William Claude Dukenfield? (W.C. Field's real name)

I've always wanted thought Aude (pronounced Odd) Sawatzki would be a great name, but Claude Sawatzki would be pretty cool too! Clay for short would be cute.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I can't believe you left out the inspiration provided by future Nobel prize winner Dr. Rose Szabady. But I have to cast my vote for Marley Toots, the calmest, happiest, most rastafarian baby ever.

Anonymous said...

I've had additional input and I think I've got the winner...Lennon. It works for boys or girls, first name or middle name!

K said...

this isn't a person, but I always thought Aubade would be a great name for a kid -- a song sung at morning. either they will a.) scream their lungs out in the early AM, as a baby is likely to do anyway, b.) grow up to be a morning person, or c.) seduce the opposite sex at college with their deep, soulful name. just a thought. i like mother theresa too, but that might be tough if you have a boy.

Anonymous said...

fetalattraction.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading fetalattraction.blogspot.com every day.
personal loans
payday advance